Monday, April 12, 2010

FAITH SEEKING FOOD SERIES 1: QUIET TIME



this series will aim to show the different nourishing elements to fill up our FAITH. First of the series is having a QUIET TIME. I will never realized that a QUIET TIME gives a spiritual meaning on my walk with CHRIST, if I would have not been a CHRISTIAN... thought I could pray anywhere and anytime I want.. thought I could just tell him directly all my prayer request and repent my sins so thats it.. its definitely more than what I expected.. It needs consistency, commitment and most especially your undying faith for LORD JESUS.. Remember we want to SUSTAIN our LOVING FAITH by being CHRIST-LIKE (Galatians)

How can i even dare to say im REBORN and repenting my sins, when my sins are RECURRENT and just plain ASK FOR FORGIVENESS from CHRIST.. How can I say I love him when I cannot even sustain my FAITH.

Quiet Time is a special appointment with GOD that will soon become a daily routine. Of course, it is definitely a FAITH-SUSTAINING-ACTIVITY as you will have the privilege to have an appointment with GOD.. In fact, from Rick Warren's How to have meaninful time with God, says that you need to have the four essentials elements of a good quiet time:

Start with the proper attitudes. - I commit to do this not to primarily favor my prayer request but to spend more QUALITY TIME WITH THE FATHER.. As I always have time to watch my daily favorite TV SHOWS, it is just right to give OUR FATHER TIME to praise, worship and just to simply listen to HIS WORDS (by reading the BIBLE).

Select a specific time. As Rick suggested to have reverence, Coming into the presence of the Lord is not like going to a football game or some other form of entertainment". It also needs to be consistent so therefore I commit to the following scheduled QUIET TIME with GOD, the following appointments are such a privilege and honor

WEEKDAYS MORNING : 9:00 - 9:30 AM (MANILA TIME)
EVENING : 11:00 - 11:30 PM

WEEKENDS MORNING : 10:00 - 10:30 AM (MANILA TIME)
EVENING : 11:00 - 11:30 PM



Choose a special place. THE LIVING AREA of our house. All bedrooms seems to have a lot of disturbance so i ought to following Rick's necessary pointers here.
where you can pray aloud without disturbing others;
where you have good lighting for reading (a desk, perhaps);
where you are comfortable

Follow a simple plan. Rick mentioned about following three items for my planned quiet times:
A Bible
A notebook for writing down what the Lord shows you, and for making a prayer list. I never had a journal so I will probably need one now as to keep track of my prayers and a progressive prayers are also suggested.
A hymnbook - sometimes you may want to sing in your praise time (see Colossians 3:16)... for this, i will just need to open the youtube for worship songs with lyrics..

Now, there are two important REMINDERs that RICK WARREN has initiated.

1. Wait on God (Relax). Be still for a minute; don't come running into God's presence and start talking immediately. Follow God's admonition: "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10; see also Isaiah 30:15; 40:31) Be quiet for a short while to put yourself into a reverent mood.

2. Pray briefly(Request). This is not your prayer time, but a short opening prayer to ask God to cleanse your heart and guide you into the time together. Two good passages of Scripture to memorize are:

"Search me, OGod, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24; see also 1 John 1:9)

“Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your law [the Word] ." (Psalm 119:18; see also John 16:13)

My sister of faith told me that she has done a progressive QUIET TIME, and I think I would like to follow what she is doing:

MONDAYS : MY SELF PRAYER REQUEST
TUESDAYS : MY HUSBAND AND MOTHER AND SISTERS PRAYER REQUEST
WEDNESDAYS : MY RELATIVES PRAYER REQUEST
THURSDAYS : MY FRIENDS PRAYER REQUEST
FRIDAY : MY NEIGHBORS AND COUNTRYMEN PRAYER REQUEST
SATURDAY : THE SICK AND STRUGGLING IN FAITH
SUNDAY : WORLD PRAYER REQUEST

Psychologists tell us that it usually takes three weeks to get familiar with some new task or habit; it takes another three weeks before it becomes a habit. The reason why many people are not successful in their quiet times is because they have never made it past that six-week barrier. For your quiet time to become a habit, you must have had one daily for at least six weeks.

If you miss a meal, it does not mean that you should give up eating because you're inconsistent. You simply eat a little more at the next meal and go on from there. This same principle is true with your quiet time.

If you have been convinced that this is what you need to do, would you pray the following:

A PRAYER OF COMMITMENT

"Lord I, MAE PADDOCK, will commit myself to spending a definite time starting tomorrow, APRIL 14, 2010 (morning and evening) with You every day, no matter what the cost. I am depending on Your strength to help me to be consistent."

Having quiet time everyday will definitely sustain my FAITH and once it gets into my routine, I know I shall make my FATHER appreciate his CHILD..

aS I commit to my FAITH, I depend on your STRENGTH that having a QUIET time will give me the privilege to be your CHILD, my FATHER..

No comments:

Post a Comment